Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Woman of Noble Character: Week 1


I was privileged to have Lynda visit my blog and take the time to comment. I always visit the blogs of ladies who comment on mine, and on Lynda's blog, My Heart's Desire, I found A Woman of Noble Character Challenge (note the button on my sidebar). Lynda's questions in the challenge struck a chord with me, so I decided to join in. Perhaps you'll choose to join as well!

For Week 1, we considered Proverbs 31:10-12:

A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

Lynda posed these thoughts:

Are you a virtuous and capable wife more precious than rubies? Does your husband trust you, and do you enrich his life? Do you bring him good everyday? Write a post about something you would like to change about yourself, and something you love about yourself. How does this add to the enrichment of your husband's life?
Well. Ahem. Honestly?

I try very hard to be a virtuous and capable wife. Some days are better than others. And some days I feel unequal to the task. The fact that Himself always seems glad to see me when he comes home in the evenings is evidence to me that he thinks more highly of me than I do myself. He trusts me implicitly. (I'm the designated decision-maker in his living will, his sole beneficiary, his trustee, power of attorney, etc., etc., after all.) And I know him better than anyone else simply because he has allowed me to truly know him. He comes across as a laid-back, fun-loving guy, but I know he's actually a very private person who tends to keep his own counsel. I know I enrich his life because, although he has interests that are his own, he seeks me out for conversation, companionship, and my opinion on things. Since I am so blessed, I do my best to bring him good every day.

If I could change something about myself I'd be a better homekeeper. We are a busy, homeschooling household with two daughters, a dog, and lots of activities. There are always other things to be doing than housework. In fact, we usually fold our piles of laundry as a family. Himself often cleans the kitchen after supper while I oversee showers and tuck-ins. He irons his own shirts because he's a much better ironer than I; I iron wrinkles in.

I love two things about me: my intellectual curiosity and my sense of humor. I think the latter enriches Himself's life more than the former. My friends think I am hilarious. Himself thinks I'm a lot funnier than he'll admit. (He's not one to lavish praise, so when I get any from him, I know it's a BIG DEAL.) But the fact is that we laugh together a lot and have many inside jokes. If anyone touches on a topic or phrase that's linked to one of "our" jokes, all it takes is one of us to make eye contact with the other, and then we're hiding smiles or, worse, smothering chuckles. But that's one thing I love about us.

Quite simply, I pray I enrich his life as much as he enriches mine.


Image: luigi diamanti / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

  1. I truly like reading you, Ellen. Your humor and wit are present in your writings. I'm a people's person, and I do love to know about those whom I esteem, like you. I laughed at the ironing wrinkles in.

    I'm going to look at the blog...maybe I'll join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarous. What an inspired challenge, and your capture your marriage honestly but also with confidence and joy.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!