Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day Treats

In honor of the special day, the girls and I made Himself his favorite cookies. These are the best peanut butter cookies I've ever tasted. The flavor is intense and the texture is rich. If peanuts are a no-no in your house, a friend of mine made a very successful batch with Sun Butter.

Best-Ever Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup creamy peanut butter*
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. With a mixer, cream together the peanut butter and sugar til well combined. In a small bowl, lighly beat the egg, then add to peanut butter mixture along with the baking soda. Mix til all is combined. Roll level teaspoons of dough into balls and place 1 inch apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets. Make crosshatch pattern with fork on dough balls, pressing lightly. Bake for about 1o minutes until puffed and golden. Cool on cookie sheet for two minutes, then remove to baking racks to cool thoroughly.

* You can use either commercial or natural peanut butter, but I prefer commercial for this recipe. If you choose natural, be prepared for some serious crumbling!

2 comments:

  1. Aha! We will be trying a batch with Sunbutter too! Thanks for the reminder about these good ol' basic cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No flour??! Actually I happened on a recipe that only had pb, eggs and sugar a few years ago that was supposedly from the Great Depression era. But I don't know where it went... wonder if it is a bit like this one? I love pb cookies- my fav!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!