Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What I Want You to Know: Who's Talking Louder? (Part One)

I am surrounded by young girls. I have two daughters of my own. I teach Bible to fourth and fifth grade girls on Wednesday nights at church. I also teach fifth grade Sunday school. And I'm a co-leader for my daughters' Girl Scout troop. These girls are between nine and eleven years old, the crucial tween years. I say crucial because our society has already begun an onslaught on them: what's pretty and what's not; what's cool and what's not; what's important and what's not; and what's worthwhile and what's not. And now's the time to intercept those messages, change them into something else.

I'm not the only person who thinks so. Lately, I've been talking about this very topic with other women, other mothers, who want so desperately to be louder than our culture, to speak out against media manipulation, and, truly, to save our girls. And we're not the only ones, either. Contemporary Christian artist Jonny Diaz's fabulous song, "A More Beautiful You" says perfectly the very words we must pass along to our young girls.

Now, I am not a fan of the current philosophy that builds a child's self-esteem in such a way that encourages a sense of entitlement instead of gratitude or superiority instead of service. Not only is that extremely dangerous, it's also unscriptural. Nor do I believe that we should teach our girls that they are inferior or in any way less than other people. I am a fan of embracing God's values instead.

So how do we drown out the enemy? We talk often and loudly about God's love for each girl and His purpose for her life (whatever that may be). We help them explore their gifts and talents and the important ways in which they can use them. We instill in our girls such a strong core of who they are in God's eyes -- how precious they are to Him -- that they'll never fall prey to any other lies.

2 comments:

  1. oh ... you are so right.
    but what do we do when we have got it soooo wrong, that we seem to spend all our time shouting at them, fighting with them, and undermining their sense of worth?
    I guess I know the answer to that. Pray for (a lot) more grace, and start over. Today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great book to recommend on this topic called, Girls Will be Girls: Raising Confident and Courageous Daughters by Dr. JoAnn Deak. This author will be speaking at the Atlanta Girls' School Open House on Jan. 10. I've heard she's a great speaker. (Wasn't trying to get in a plug for AGS, it just sort of happened!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!