Friday, August 28, 2009

Ready or Not, It's Time to Hit the Road!

It's our last day in Maine. I'm at the library (again) so Miss Priss can assist with her last children's story/craft time. We really didn't have time for this, but I didn't have the heart to tell her so. She's enjoyed it so much and has decided she wants to be a librarian when she grows up. In fact, the director told her that she could work as an intern here when she's a bit older. Did I mention before that this would most likely not happen at our library at home? It's been wonderful for her.

Back at the cabin, our clothes are packed up and the dry groceries, as well. I've been washing linens and packing them away in plastic tubs to keep the rodents out over the winter. I need to finish that project, pack our toiletries, enclose all the utensils in gallon plastic zipper bags (rodents again), take the trash and recyclables to the dump, pack up all the blankets, finish packing all our books and school materials, get the travel bag ready (full of games, activities, and snacks) for the drive. . . . I know there's more, but that's all I can think of now. I also have a slight headache.

Speaking of the drive: for years now, Dh has maintained that we can do it in two days instead of three. The girls and I have decided to give it a go this year. That means we'll be driving about 700 miles each day. The Plan is to depart tomorrow morning at 7:00 and then stop south of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, perhaps getting as far south as Hagerstown, Maryland. I researched possible hotel stops online yesterday afternoon. It's a bit tricky, since we need a place near the expressway and that also accepts pets. Also, I don't want to leave it til the last minute, as hotels near the expressway fill up with travelers in the early evening. I think we should go ahead and make our reservation. Dh has agreed, but has not mentioned it again. Hmmm. I'm the planner in the family and also tend to be realistic (okay, sometimes pessimistic) about things. He is not. I think I should push the reservations issue when I get back.

All of this to say that I'm not ready to go back now. I have a full schedule of commitments and responsibilities awaiting me at home, none of which I'm overly jazzed about at this moment. I know it will be fine when I get there and back into the swing of things, but still. I will miss my quiet life here in Maine. I'll miss my friends here. I'll miss the church we attend here. I'll miss the quiet. I'm not ready to go.

But go we shall, tomorrow at the crack of dawn (or close enough). I've been doing this for years now, so I know the drill. And I'll slip into my old life as easily as I slip on a sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!