Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Angst: A Homeschooler's Constant Companion

Although I wish it were not. I just re-read my June post about our plans for nxt (this) year. Oh, how confident I sounded! How utterly decided and filled with certainty, despite the few holes.

Alas, the feeling has passed now that it's time to begin.

Over the summer, I did some research: The Idiot's Guide to Homeschooling (don't laugh!) and Homeschooling the Middle Years. Perhaps I should have followed the adage, if it ain't broke, don't mess it up by researching anything else. (What, you've never heard that one?) So now I'm re-thinking a few things, toying with our schedule, fiddling with our plans, tying myself in knots. . . .

We begin our year slowly and ease back into our studies. That fits our family best. Perhaps once we get back into our routine, my butterflies will settle down. But what if I'm missing something crucial? Some experience, some method, that will mean the difference between academic excellence and mediocrity? Or between a passion for learning and an apathy for it?

Arrgh. The girls are impatient to leave the constricting confines of the library (where I can use the WiFi), so I have to just embrace the angst. Believe me, that's easier than ignoring it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!