Friday, September 2, 2011

Homeschooling Meme

Thank you, Jeanne, at A Peaceful Day, for including me in your homeschooling meme! These are always fun, and I enjoy reading others' responses to glean encouragement and ideas. Perhaps my answers will help someone else. Who knows? So here we go...

1. One homeschooling book you have enjoyed
I've read quite a few homeschooling books through the years, some of which I reach for again and again. So I really can't narrow it down to one. Here are some I continue to consult: A Charlotte Mason Education and More Charlotte Mason Education, both by Catherine Levison; When Children Love to Learn, by Elaine Cooper; and The Well-Trained Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.

2. One resource you wouldn't be without
Our computer + online access. We use it for subjects, like Rosetta Stone French; for research; and to access AO Yahoo groups and blogs (including my own), to name a few uses. Our research opportunities would be limited to library trips without the computer and online access. We can't jump in the car and head for the library every time someone has a question. Moreover, as a homeschooling parent, I would feel isolated without my computer.

3. One resource you wish you had never bought
I've bought a few things I wished later that I had not bought. Some I've been able to resell. Others sit on my shelves, mocking me. To wit: boxes of educational card games that we either played once or did not play at all.

4. One resource you enjoyed last year
Spelling Power has turned out to be a wonderful fit for my children. One is a natural speller, and the other needs more practice. This curriculum works well with both.

5. One resource you will be using next year
We'll be using Ann Voskamp's A Child's Geography, volumes 1 and 2. I've perused these and am really pleased with the content and how it's presented.

6. One resource you would like to buy
At this moment, nothing leaps to mind. I'm always buying books, though!

7. One resource you wish existed
A special balm I could use that would magically erase all doubts, anxieties, and worries peculiar to the homeschooling mother and household manager. Prayer, of course, is good, but it usually requires work on my part, i.e., I have to work through things. I would really prefer it if yuckiness just goes away. Okay?

8. One homeschool catalogue you enjoy reading
I love Rainbow Resource and consider it invaluable. I also enjoy thumbing through the Winter Promise catalog for literature ideas.

9. One homeschooling website you use regularly
Ambleside Online, MEP math, Groovy Grammar (more substantial that it sounds, trust me), and Heart of the Matter. I also read a number of homeschooling blogs for ideas and encouragement. See why my computer is indispensable?

I'm supposed to tag other homeschoolers to play, but I think I'd rather just rhow it out there to anyone who'd like to play along. I would love to hear from you all!

2 comments:

  1. Off to google Winter Promise now. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would be a very good homeschooler (and am hoping my daughter will settle well at her new school, because until recently she always loved school). But your blog, and some others, make me happy that there are dedicated parent/teachers who are good at homeschooling. I completely concur with your no. 7! I think there must be many intangible resources that you left off your list.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!