Friday, November 28, 2014

New Curtains for the Family Room


 I love checks and I love the color red. So red checks really make my heart go pitter pat. I wanted red-checked curtains for our family room, the coziest room in the house. But I was (and still am) on a tight decorating budget. So instead of buying curtains, I bought red-checked tablecloths from eBay.


One problem: when they arrived, they weren't exactly the same. One tablecloth's fabric is a bit thicker and a tad nubbier than the other. Thankfully, this is not noticeable since they're not hung right next to one another.


Two inexpensive black rods from Lowe's, a pack of drapery clip rings, and we were in business. Himself installed the rods for me because he's fabulous like that.

I'm really pleased with the way they look. The room seems more finished.

We're considering painting the judges paneling in this room, but we can't quite make up our minds. Once it's painted, that's all she wrote. And I kinda like the coziness aspect. If the room got more direct sunlight, it would be brighter. But the screen porch is right through the French doors, and only oblique sunlight filters in anyway since the front of the house faces southeast.


But on a winter's evening with a fire in the fireplace. . . it's the best. I love to read in this chair. (Notice the red checks!) Or I curl up in a corner of the couch under a throw. You can't get much better than that.

I hope you like my curtains as much as I do!

 photo signature_zpsbb142848.png

Linking up with:
Make It Pretty Monday
Inspire Me Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesdays



8 comments:

  1. They look fabulous. I did my familyroom in buffalo check tablecloths that I found at Boscov's. Fabulous and only $10 a piece. Love your red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red is my favorite color so this really grabbed me. A beautiful, warm, inviting room. Love that big, comfy looking chair too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this look! I tried so hard to find some tablecloths like yours to use in my den but couldn't find any and broke down and bought some from Country Curtains! Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. I think it looks warm and cozy and homey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same curtains~! so of course I love yours.. using the table clothes is such a fab idea and keeps use on budget too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ellen! Thanks for your visit today! : )

    I love your red check curtains. There is something so homey feeling about checks and red and white ones in particular. Such a great idea to use tablecloths, too. I used white tablecloths when I made over my granddaughter's room awhile ago. It was the best way to get all that fabric for a reasonable price. I think the next time I need new curtains in our home I will have to remember to check out the table linens section!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your room looks so cozy, I love buffalo check. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new red checked curtains! I found some for my kitchen recently, too, and the cozy factor went way way up. I never thought to look for table cloths; so smart! I also love this whole room and truly sympathize with your tough decision about whether to paint it. It's so classic and traditional and has that lovely cozy Ralph Lauren look that I just love. Wouldn't it be great if we could just flip a switch and have both looks whenever we want them?

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!