Friday, March 8, 2013

Weekly Happenings: Extreme Flexibility in Action


No, not yoga. Homeschooling.

I wrote about my Dad's surgery earlier this week. On Tuesday morning, I drove two hours north to be there with my family. I left Himself in charge of the girls. He was armed with a schedule of their activities; they were armed with a detailed list of assignments, organized by day.

I took my laptop with me, and I was able to use the hospital's guest wifi to hop online any time I wanted to do so. The girls emailed me narrations, photos of artwork "narrations," questions, and a short composition piece. I responded to each email.

They really seemed to enjoy it. There was an element of independence in this style of work, combined with  the sense of closeness technology provides. Was it perfect? No. But did it work when we needed it? Yes.

It helps, of course, that my children are in middle school. They are ready for a bit more independence, whether they realize it or not. In fact, these few days away proved to me that I can -- and should -- increase their level of responsibility for their own education, as well as increase my expectations for the quality of their work.

They are growing up. Right before my eyes.

I'm linking up with:
Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers
HammockTracks
The Homeschool Mother's Journal



1 comment:

  1. I like how you managed this! My girls would enjoy too:)

    Praying for your dad's recovery and for your family as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!