Monday, October 24, 2011

Free Artist Studies from Concordia University

Kudos again to the Homeschool Freebie of the Day website for letting me know (via their weekly email subscription) about this resource.

Concordia University in Chicago has developed FREE monthly artist study lesson plans for grades one through six. Here's a link to the site. I looked over their offerings and selected the plans for grades two, four, and six and dowloaded the Adobe file.


Northern River, by Tom Thomson, featured artist for Lesson 2, Grade 6

Each plan provides a biography of each month's featured artist and background information on the selected artwork. The the plan suggests ways to lead students in "directed observation" of the piece, which consists of several questions and things to consider. The plan wraps up with a Things to Do section for students, offering options for their own artwork or comparisons with other pieces by the same artist.

Since picture/artist study is not my strong suit (read: I need all the help I can get), I'm looking forward to utilizing this resource in our home school.

1 comment:

  1. How funny! I was just thinking about this today! I even did a post (about hymn study) that mentioned artist study and my need to get on the ball with it... coincidence?? ;)
    Thanks for the link!

    And on a side note: I remember your freezer soup :) I *think* that may be what spurred my toss together soup ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!