Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cooking by Serendipity

I, the admitted and confirmed mediocre cook, made wonderful French toast (ahem -- "eggy bread" to my Brit friends) earlier this week. No one was more delighted than I. Here's how it happened:

I had made decent French toast last weekend and still had left over 1/3 of a loaf of extra-thick French toast bread. I also had left over a bowlful of lightly sweetened homemade whipped cream that had started to liquefy. Inspiration struck.

Mixing three eggs, a touch of vanilla, and a generous amount of the liquidy whipped cream produced a lovely, foamy soaking bath for the bread. I sauteed -- which sounds SO much better than fried -- the soaked bread triangles in a lightly oiled skillet until glden brown on both sides. The resulting French toast was remarkably velvety and scrumptious, especially with real maple syrup. It was also prettier than my normal French toast, which was a niuce bonus.

Now. Will I go to the trouble of whipping cream three days before I make French toast again? I doubt it. But when I happen to have leftover whipped cream, I know what's for breakfast very, very soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!