Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tagged by Jackie!

My dear friend, Jackie, at Hedgerow Ways and Fireside Days, tagged me in a little question and answer game.  The rules are that you answer the eight questions posed to you, and then you send your own eight questions to eight other bloggers of your choice.  I may not get to that second part, but we'll see.

Here are Jackie's questions to me (and seven other people she selected):

Why do you blog?
I blog because my friends told me I should give it a whirl.  I blog because I'm a writer, and this is about all the writing I can cram into my life at this time.  I blog because it keeps me focused in our home education efforts.  And it's fun!

What was your proudest moment and why?
This is difficult to answer, but after thinking a few moments I've settled on a response: when I was in graduate school, I took a course in 20th century British poets -- I am not joking -- and the professor was not the most gregarious guy.  On the day he returned our graded major research papers, he and I happened to catch the same elevator after class.  It was just the two of us, and he barely acknowledged my presence.  Then, out of the blue, he said, with the minutest eye contact, "You wrote a good paper."  Later that day, when I perused my paper (on Dylan Thomas, in case you're interested) to see all his comments, I was stunned to read his full commentary at the end, in which he stated that my paper was "easily the best in the class by far."

What is the silliest thing that you have ever done?
When I was in the fourth grade, a friend and I dressed up like Dolly Parton and sang "Jolene" in the school talent show.  We won first place, too.

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up, and why?
A teacher, because my mom was a teacher.  And I teach quite a bit: at home, at church, and at Girl Scouts.

Now what do you want to be when you grow up?
Rich.  Just kidding!  Although it wouldn't hurt, and I think I'd be darling at it (thanks, Dorothy Parker).  I'd really like to be a writer -- professional, not hobbyist -- and perhaps one day I'll have the time to dedicate to that dream.

If I started my perfect community, living on the land, why should I include you in it?
Why on earth wouldn't you include me in it?  I can shuck corn, shell peas, and break beans with the best of 'em.

The best book that you have read in the last five years and why?
Ooooh, hard one.  I can't recall all the books I've read in the last five years, and to pick The Best One...  I don't know if I could pick The Best One I'd read this year alone.  How about this: I'll pick two.  A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson, had me howling with laughter so much that my eyes got all teary, on several different occasions.  And The Elegance of the Hedgehog, by Muriel Barbery, was unlike anything I've read in a long time; it's very memorable.  Then there are the Fairacre novels, and I can't forget Jane Austen...  See?  I told you.

What is the great truth in your life?
That Jesus Christ saved my life, and that He keeps on saving me every day.  Praise God.

2 comments:

  1. What?! Why isn't the "Jolene" concert your PROUDEST moment? Also, do you sing it while you shuck corn, shell peas, and break beans, because that my affect someone's decision about including you in their community.(If folks could hear you sing, they would know that it would be a blessing to have you doing it at chore time - well, except if you were singing "Jolene".)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to add that you would be an asset to the community by making hand washing dishes very entertaining!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!