Friday, September 4, 2009

In Everything You Do

After days of low spirits (beginning in Maine), I'm finally feeling that it's good to be home. This week saw us swing into action with piano lessons, horseback riding lessons for Tiny Girl (now twice a week), and our church's children's program on Wednesday nights, in which I teach fourth- and fifth-grade girls' Bible time. It's Friday evening, the girls are asleep, and, instead of feeling weary as I'd feared, I feel fine. I feel blessed.

One (big) reason for the change in me: this morning, our Bible lesson was about honoring God in everything we do. When I asked the girls about how we honor God every day, they responded "by praying," "listening to Christian music," "treating others the way God wants us to," and the like. Then I asked them to consider the idea that we are serving and honoring Him throughout the day, in everything we do. Of course, this was not news to me. But for the girls, it was a bit mind-boggling. We serve God in everything we do! I saw their surprise, their epiphany, if you will, and it hit me: my reluctance to embrace the responsibilities and opportunities in my life here in the suburbs was a poor way to serve my savior and a weak example for my children. When the girls and I prayed, we asked God to give us sufficient grace that would enable us to do all our work for His glory.

Now. I did not have a "lightning-strikes" moment, when instantly -- ZAP! -- my entire attitude turned around. Nor did I attack my to-do list with grim determination and gritted teeth. However, as the day unfolded, I found myself cheerful in my work, satisfied with the fruits of my labor, and enjoying time with my precious daughters the Lord has entrusted to my and their daddy's care.

What a gracious God. Instead of "magically" changing my outlook, like slapping on rose-colored glasses, He revealed to me the better way all throughout the day. I'm trusting Him to do that for me my whole life.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." --Colossians 3:23-24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!