Monday, January 12, 2015

Perchance to Dream: Historic Home in Georgia


I love old houses. If Himself and I had our druthers, we'd live in one. But since I've sworn I'll never move again, it will remain a dream.

Anyway, like most dreamers, I like to drool over the objects of my adoration. Like this one, Panola Hall in Eatonton, Georgia. Now, it's a wee bit out of our price range (ahem!), but still. Isn't it gorgeous?


Built in 1854, Panola Hall is a wonderful example of Greek Revival architecture. There are 12 fireplaces, heart pine floors, pocket doors (which I covet greatly), a spacious kitchen with granite countertops, a large center hall -- quite common in houses of this time period -- and very high ceilings: 12 feet on the main level and 14 feet on the second floor. Oh, and porches! There's even a raised daylight basement with nine-foot ceilings, four large rooms (each with windows and a fireplace), a second kitchen, and a grotto.

Below is a photo of the center hall. I love the color of the walls. Notice how the staircase is located away from either doorway.



The dining room. See the pocket doors peeking out?


The floors are especially gorgeous here in the kitchen:


The master bedroom. Swoon!


Lovely master bath.


The rear facade.


The backyard features a brick carriage path, a domed well house, a fish pond, and several heritage plants.


And it boasts its own "spirit presence of a refined Southern belle," Sylvia. (It's an old Southern home; of course there's a ghost!)

I would certainly put my own stamp on as far as color, curtains, and furnishings go. But oh, what scope for the imagination! For more information (and photos), visit the real estate listing here. The photos come from that site.

Are you entranced with old houses, too?

 photo signature_zpsbb142848.png

Link parties:
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesdays
Treasure Hunt Thursday

7 comments:

  1. Lovely! Was this a "show house" you attended? It's gorgeous, I love all the old rugs and wood floors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie-Ann, no, but I wish! I like to scout the internet for historic homes for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live near Eatonton and drive by this house often. This whole area has a lot of older homes that are gorgeous. I love that they boast of their very own ghost. I too am taken by the architecture of older homes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful home. I love the kitchen with a fireplace.
    xx,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ellen! I am very interested to see how people lived in the past, but that kind of grandeur would make me very nervous on a long-term basis! What are "pocket windows"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christine, pocket doors slide into the wall! There's a little catch you can lift up to slide them out again when you want to close the door. I adore them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those rooms are huge - what a beautiful home! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I couldn't email you back after you commented because your email came up "no reply".
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!