Friday, January 9, 2015

Making Plans for Dining Room Curtains


It's time to make plans for curtains in the dining room. The windows have stood naked for far too long. After looking through Country Curtains catalogs and other sources for ready-made ideas, I decided on custom-made curtains for several reasons.

One: the windows feature pretty moldings. It would be a shame to cover them. See?


Two: I have blinds and the header box thingies, which I also like.

Three: I am in love with this fabric, which I've adored since I first caught sight of it at Calico Corners a few years ago:


I think the lighter blue in the background with complement the wall paint color, Opal Silk by Behr, really nicely.

I've contacted a decorator here in my area, and she and I have both texted and talked on the phone. I sent her photos from my Pinterest board, Gorgeous Home, with some ideas of things I like. I'm especially enamored with the idea of finials rather than rods, like so:

{source}

I can't wait to get started!


 photo signature_zpsbb142848.png

Link parties:
Make It Pretty Monday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesdays
Treasure Hunt Thursday


7 comments:

  1. Do you feel naked without the curtains? I had them for 15 years. When the HUSBAND as he called himself, who had insisted on the wallpaper and the curtains, moved out, I started pulling off the wallpaper (I felt like the Woman in The Yellow Walllpaper). It was liberating and the blue paint i put up feels ocean fresh and happy. I was planning on keeping the heavy curtains until a neighbor came in to advise. She said simply "Get rid of them." I did. I have nice moldings and blinds too. White. The rooms feels fresh, free, and me. I LOVE it. The curtains, I realized represented the entrapped me, and I'm so glad they're gone. But I know your personality is completely different to mine: much more homely where I am a minimalist and feel liberated by minimal stuff around me and fresh bright simplicity. I jsut hadn't considered getting rid of the curtains because I thought they were "necessary" for the dining room. Now I am so pleased it did. The kids love it too. :) I can't wait to see your place. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love that fabric too. Can't wait to see what you do and how your curtains turn out. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen, I am having a drapery dilemma, coveting some new ones for a sliding glass window in my kitchen. But I'm a little intimidated about contacting an interior designer. Do you have any tips about how you started your "drapery dialogue" with a designer? I know it should be relatively easy, just "hey, design me some drapes!" but interior design is a different world than say...blogging or finance...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie-Ann, I did some online research about custom curtains in my geographical area and found a nice website with loads of testimonials and words like "work within any budget," etc. It just happened that the business owner -- who actually makes the window treatments -- is also an interior designer! Total luck. I would have been fine with someone sewing at her kitchen table as long as her referrals and photos were excellent! I first sent an email inquiry; since then we have talked on the phone and texted. I sent her photos of ideas I've pinned to my Pinterest board, Gorgeous Home, so she'd have an idea of what I like. Easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fabric....looking forward to see what you do. I know they will be stunning. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your choice of toile material also. I bought 10 yards of it at Calico Corners a few years ago to cover my sofa to match a settee that I purchased already covered in our gorgeous toile materiel.
    needles to say my sofa isn't covered however I did cover a round ottoman to match the settee.
    I don't have curtains in my kitchen or dinnette becuase no houses behind me .
    I'm sure however you hang your curtains you will love them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have admired that fabric from the time I first saw it. It has beautiful colors that can be used in many ways. You'll be happy with it I believe.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!