Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Confessions of a Mediocre Cook: Tiny Apple Pies

Many of my culinary successes are totally serendipitous. This is one of them.



If you'll recall, we visited a local apple orchard back in the fall. I sliced, peeled, and froze quite a few of the apples I brought home. If you plan to use them in cooking, this is an excellent method of keeping them.

In December, I attempted to make angel biscuits and failed. I think my yeast was too old because they didn't rise. They tasted pretty good and, since I made a double (failed) batch, I froze at least thirty of them, unbaked.

And then I had an idea.

The dough wasn't good for biscuits, but it might be nice for pastry.

Thank heavens for the muse of culinary inspiration!

I thawed 12 biscuits and five apple slices. I chopped the apples in my Pampered Chef food chopper (love that thing!) and then pressed out the excess water so my little pies wouldn't be soggy. There is very little worse than a soggy pie to ruin one's hopes. Since frozen apples are already soft, there's no need to worry about pre-cooking them.

I flattened each biscuit round into a bit larger circle, spooned some apple (which was like chunky applesauce) onto one side, and then sprinkled the apple with cinnamon sugar. I folded the other biscuit half over the apple, crimped the edges with a fork, and sprinkled a bit more cinnamon sugar on top. Then I baked them at 425 degrees until they were golden brown. Ta da!

I am ridiculously proud of myself. You'd understand if you knew how much I long to be a great cook but seem destined to slog away in mediocrity.

They were really tiny bites of happiness. In the photo above, three tiny pies rest on a Fiesta saucer!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!