Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Of Mice in Maine

Well! We arrived in Maine day before yesterday, after a three-day slog in a packed minivan. We're glad to be here, of course, but it is much cooler than we're used to! We've had the wood stove going the past two evenings. Despite the cooler temps, Himself and Tiny Girl were in the lake this morning before breakfast, waterskiing (yours truly was at the helm). It was Tiny's first attempt; she got up successfully twice, but fell rather quickly both times. That's better than I've ever been able to do! More importantly, she's excited about it.

And did I mention our resident mouse? Miss Priss and I saw it, not two minutes after we walked into the cabin, as it scuttled across the floor about one inch from our feet. Yes, we both screamed. I'm not usually so scream-y, but I must say our proximity to that rodent gave me the heebie-jeebies. It was nothing like The Wind in the Willows.

So I've spent the better part of the last two days cleaning out kitchen drawers and washing all our dishes, cups, glasses, and flatware, all thanks to the mouse, which eliminates indiscriminately. And left food stores all over the place. It also shredded my dishtowels and Q-tips. Perhaps we'll finally get unpacked today.

As for Jasper, he loves swimming in the lake, but is lukewarm about riding in the boat. Ah, well. He'll get used to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!