Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer Sipper Extraordinaire: Perfect Iced Coffee

Okay. I know I've raved before about Ree Drummond's Perfect Iced Coffee. But it's worth another mention (or fifty) now that summer is upon us. Because let me tell you, this is one perfect summer sipper.

If you take the time to read all 1,200+ comments on Ree's blog, you'll see that folks have teaked the recipe to their liking. I have too, and I'll share my absolute favorite with you.

Some people are concerned about the VAT of coffee base that Ree's recipe makes. Here's my solution: freeze it. Two weeks ago, I defrosted a half gallon that I'd frozen months ago -- before Christmas -- and it was fine. Fabulous, even.

You could also revamp the recipe for a smaller yield, as some commenters on Ree's site have. But that requires math. So I make the full recipe and then freeze the excess. It keeps really well in the fridge, too.

And if you don't have the fridge or freezer space, then give bottles of the stuff as gifts for your friends. Believe me, they'll love it!

Anyway, Ree tends to prefer half-and-half and sugar. She also recommends the Vietnamese recipe with sweetened condensed milk. Those are both delicious.

But my absolute favorite iced coffee refreshment:


  • Fill a large glass 1/2 full of ice cubes. To avoid watery-ness, make some ice cubes with the coffee base and use those!
  • Pour in coffee base til glass is about 2/3 to 3/4 full, depending on how strong you want your resulting libation.
  • Add a healthy pouring of Natural Bliss creamer. I love all the flavors, but hazelnut makes my heart go pitter-pat.
  • You can also use half milk and half creamer, which I sometimes do.
  • I've made this with both decaf and caff coffees; both turned out perfectly.


I've heard that milk alternatives, fat-free creamers, and Splenda work well, too. If you're watching your fat intake and calories, or if you're dairy intolerant, those may be options for you. I bet agave syrup would also be tasty. Me, I go for the full fat, full sugar, high calorie lusciousness every time.

Cheers!

I'm linking up with No Ordinary Blog Hop! Hop on over for more great recipes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds Soooo good. I must save these suggestions for all the coffee-drinkers in my world! Thank you for sharing on NOBH!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!