Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Simply *The Best* Recipe for Cookie Cutouts

Yes, I know that's a bodacious claim, but I believe it to be true. Deliciously, lip-smackingly true. A delicate-tasting cookie with more flair than your basic sugar cookie cutout, these are even wonderful plain -- sans icing or frou-frou decorations. Although both are fun!

Our Girl Scout troop is going to decorate Christmas cookies for a local charity at our next meeting. I'm making the cookies and icing ahead of time. Regular sugar cookies are fine, but if you really want to surprise folks -- in a good way -- try this recipe this season.

Simply the Best Cookie Cutouts
2 ½ cups plain flour
1 t cinnamon
½ t ginger
½ t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
3/4 cup butter
½ cup honey
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg



Stir together flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Cream butter, honey, and sugar until smooth.


Beat in egg.* Stir in half the flour mixture, beating well. Beat or stir in rest of flour.



Cover and refrigerate for 1 ½ hours or until firm enough to roll and cut. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough on a well-floured surface (flour your rolling pin as well!), about 1/3 of the dough at a time. Cut with desired floured cutters.



Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned. Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies.

After the cookies cool completely, ice with your favorite cookie icing (the kind that sets up is best) and decorate in the way that makes your heart the happiest. Don't forget to much a few naked cookies!

* I emphasized this step because I forgot to do it in my first batch of dough and had to add it in after the flour. The cookies didn't suffer a bit, but it's easier to add the egg when you're supposed to.

7 comments:

  1. Yay! I was just looking for a better recipe than the one i have from last year:) I read your recipe and think you might be right...these may be the very best!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all of the cookie recipes I am coming across! Thank you for sharing with Three Thinking Mothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh.. that does sound delicious! I may have to whip up a batch at our house =-) Thanks for linking up at TGIF! Don't forget to grab a TGIF button for your linked up post or sidebar so others can find the party & link up too. Thanks =-) See you next week!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. THank you! I am going to use this recipe for my cutouts this year! Thanks so much for linking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...I like that these cut-out cookies have cinnamon and ginger. I bet these are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do sound good. We'll give them a go here and let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum... looking forward to trying this out! Thanks-

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!