Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Adventures in Frugality: Coming Clean

How's this for coming clean: I aspire to be more frugal, and sometimes I succeed.

Here's one of my successes. Inspired by Tricia at Hodgepodge, I made my own laundry detergent today. (My camera was AWOL, so I have no fab photos; but Tricia does, so visit her blog to see what I did. Ha ha!) I opted to make the powdered version from the Duggar Family website, the same recipe Tricia used.

After some research, I discovered that the liquid/gel recipe is the best value, but I don't have a five-gallon bucket with a lid hanging around my house. Maybe one day....

I bought all three ingredients at my local grocery store in the laundry detergent section. If you can't find them, check online.

Here's the recipe:

1 bar Fels Naphtha laundry soap, finely grated
1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 cup borax

The girls and I used my crank cheese grater to grate the soap. Then we mixed everything together and stored it in a clean and empty OxyClean bucket-style container, along with an extra plastic tablespoon measure I had. Voila! One tablespoon per load is all that's needed. Use two tablespoons for really soiled clothing.

I've already washed a load of clothes with this concoction, and everything came out clean. Which I sort of expected, since hundreds of other people have had success with this recipe. It's not like I'm cutting-edge or anything.

The best news is that it's so easy to make that I might actually stick with it. Thanks, Tricia!

4 comments:

  1. I keep saying I'm going to do this but haven't yet. Glad to hear you had success, which pushes me a wee bit more towards actually doing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you ;) I use the liquid because we have hard water and it doesn't dissolve when I use powder. I concentrate my liquid because I do not have a 5 gallon bucket either.
    The only complaint I have with homemade is that whites become dingy and the tough spots don't always come as clean as store bought. But I'm sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, did you feel a little bit like Little House on the Prairie? We did! I went into it thinking that it was going to be lots of work but really, as you said, it's not cutting-edge. Pretty simple. That crank cheese grater is mighty handy. Thanks for the mention fellow frugal adventurer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blossom, have you tried adding some OxyClean powder to your white/light loads? I wonder if that would help. Some recipes I found actually use OxyClean powder as one of the ingredients. And I still use OxyClean spray for stains. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! And I appreciate the time you take to leave them. Thanks!